Patrick Naughton advises on all aspects of mergers and acquisitions transactions, including strategic M&A, leveraged buyouts and private equity investments. He has represented a wide mix of clients, including KKR, Blackstone, Hellman & Friedman, AIG, First Reserve, Barclays, Genesee & Wyoming, Smithfield Foods, Sealed Air and the special committees and independent directors of several public company boards. Patrick is commended as a leading lawyer by Chambers USA and Chambers Global, which cites his “solid work [and] commercial and reasonable approach" and describes him as a “go-to adviser on cross-border transactions involving China and Hong Kong.” He has also been recognized by The American Lawyer as a “Dealmaker of the Week.” From 2006 to 2010, Patrick was in our Hong Kong office.
Read Full Biography...
- Smithfield Foods in its $7 billion strategic combination with Shuanghui International, at the time the largest Chinese takeover of an American company
- KKR in multiple acquisitions, investments and dispositions, including its acquisitions of Oriental Brewery, MMI Holdings and Unisteel Technology, its investments in Yageo and the Seven Media Group joint venture, and its sale of Cleanaway
- American International Group (AIG) in its $4.8 billion sale of its Japan-based life insurance subsidiaries AIG Star Life Insurance and AIG Edison Life Insurance to Prudential Financial
- Sealed Air Corporation in its $4.3 billion acquisition of Diversey Holdings
- Blackstone in its approximately $9.4 billion acquisition of the U.S. shopping mall business of Centro Properties Group and its managed funds
- America Online in its merger with Time Warner
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- The Law Society of Hong Kong
- International Bar Association
Patrick Naughton is a Partner in the Firm’s Corporate Department. He advises clients on mergers and acquisitions transactions, including leveraged buyouts and private equity investments, and on corporate and securities law matters. Patrick was resident in the Firm’s Hong Kong office from 2006 to 2010.
Selected transactions include the representation of:
- AXIS Capital in connection with its terminated merger with Partner Re
- Owens-Illinois in connection with its acquisition of the food and beverage glass container business of Vitro
- Daiichi Sankyo in connection with its acquisition of Ambit Biosciences
- Smithfield Foods in connection with its sale to Shuanghui International Holdings
- Barclays in connection with its sale of its interests in Archstone to Lehman
- Hellman & Friedman in connection with the acquisition of a controlling interest in its portfolio company Emdeon by Blackstone
- Sealed Air in connection with its acquisition of Diversey
- Blackstone in connection with its acquisition of the U.S. business of Centro Properties Group
- AIG in connection with the sale of its Japanese subsidiaries, AIG Star Life Insurance company and AIG Edison Life Insurance Company, to Prudential Financial, Inc.
- KKR in connection with its acquisition of Oriental Brewery Co., Ltd., in Korea
- Blackstone in connection with its acquisition of 20% of China National Bluestar (Group) Corporation
- KKR in connection with its acquisitions of MMI Holdings Ltd. and Unisteel Technology Limited in Singapore
- KKR in connection with its investment in Yageo Corporation in Taiwan
- KKR in connection with its sale of Cleanaway in Australia
- KKR in connection with its investment in the Seven Media Group joint venture in Australia
- First Reserve in its pre-IPO investment in China Coal Energy Company Limited
- Focus Media in its acquisitions of Target Media and Allyes
- The Special Committee of Lafarge North America in connection with the tender offer by Lafarge S.A., its controlling stockholder
- Chatam International in connection with the sale of its Chambord brand to Brown-Forman
- First Reserve in its acquisition of Chart Industries
- The Special Committee of Eon Labs in its sale to Novartis
- Genesee & Wyoming in the acquisitions of Rail Partners and several other railroad companies
- Travelers in its merger with St. Paul
- The consortium of Blackstone, Apollo and Goldman Sachs in the acquisition of Nalco Company from Suez
- The independent directors of ImClone Systems in connection with various corporate governance matters
- The controlling shareholder of Panamerican Beverages in its sale to Coca-Cola FEMSA
- The principal stockholders of Louis Dreyfus Natural Gas in its sale to Dominion Resources
- America Online, in its merger with Time Warner
- A number of the Firm’s investment banking clients in their roles as financial advisors in M&A transactions
Patrick is commended as a leading lawyer by Chambers USA and Chambers Global, which cites his “solid work [and] commercial and reasonable approach” and describes him as a “go-to adviser on cross-border transactions involving China and Hong Kong.” He has also been recognized as “Dealmaker of the Week” by The American Lawyer for his lead role in Sealed Air’s acquisition of Diversey.
Patrick received his J.D. in 1995 from Harvard Law School and his B.A., magna cum laude, in 1992 from Williams College, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.