Sarah Cogan in 2015 was named a top registered funds lawyer by both Chambers and The Legal 500 United States; one client described her to Chambers as “indispensable.” Her clients have included closed-end investment companies, open-end mutual funds, investment advisors, underwriters of closed-end fund and BDC offerings and independent directors of investment companies. Sarah serves as Trustee of the Allianz family of open-end and closed-end funds and the PIMCO closed-end funds. Active in pro bono affairs, she has represented the Natural Resources Defense Council for many years and now serves as a Trustee.
Read Full Biography...
- Blackstone/GSO Senior Floating Rate Term Fund, Blackstone/GSO Long-Short Credit Income Fund and Blackstone/GSO Strategic Credit Fund in their IPOs and on-going matters
- ClearBridge American Energy MLP Fund in its $1.05 billion IPO and issuance of senior secured notes and ongoing matters
- Represented the underwriters in the $2.3 billion IPO of DoubleLine Income Solutions Fund, one of the largest IPOs of any closed-end bond fund in the U.S.
- Represented the underwriters in follow-on offerings of common stock and note offerings by Apollo Investment Corporation
- Represented the underwriters in the $1.1 billion IPO of Neuberger Berman MLP Income Fund
- Advised Permal Hedge Strategies Fund, a closed-end fund of hedge funds in a master-feeder structure
Georgetown University Law Center, 1981 J.D.
Yale University, 1978 B.A.
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Member, Committee on Investment Management Regulation, 2005–2011
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Women’s Investment Management Forum
Sarah E. Cogan is Of Counsel at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP. Sarah has advised clients on corporate and securities law, including investment management, regulatory, compliance and M&A matters. She has also represented closed-end investment companies, open-end mutual funds, investment advisers and independent directors of investment companies, as well as a number of underwriters in offerings by closed-end funds and business development companies.
Sarah serves as Trustee of the Allianz family of open-end and closed-end funds and the PIMCO closed-end funds. She has represented the Natural Resources Defense Council, Inc. on a pro bono basis for many years and now serves as a Trustee of NRDC.
Sarah is a member of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York where she has served as a member of the Committee on Securities Regulation and a member of the Committee on Investment Management Regulation. She is also a member of the New York State and American Bar Associations. She received her B.A. from Yale University in 1978 and her J.D. from Georgetown University Law Center in 1981. Joining Simpson Thacher in 1981, she became a Partner in 1989.
Sarah was named a leading registered funds lawyer by Chambers USA 2018 and The Legal 500 United States 2015. In recent editions of Chambers USA, she has been “particularly noted for her extensive knowledge of closed-end funds” and commended by clients for being “among the best,” ”hard-working and indispensable,” and in The Legal 500 United States, she was recognized as “a highly respected figure in the mutual funds space” and lauded by clients for her experience which “allows her to navigate any situation with historical precedent to provide guidance on an appropriate path forward.” Additionally, Sarah was a 2012 recipient of Georgetown Law’s Alumnae Award.