“Commercial, talented and effective,” in the words of Chambers, Ed Tolley has close to 25 years of high yield debt and IPO practice experience. Ed has represented many of the world’s leading financial sponsors, including KKR, Blackstone, First Reserve, TPG, TH Lee, Bain Capital, Silver Lake and Providence Equity in connection with their high yield/bridge/acquisition finance needs. He has done the high yield work on some of the largest and most high-profile LBOs ever done, including TXU, HCA, SunGard, Samson Resources, Celanese, Warner Music, and Houghton Mifflin. Ed has been issuer’s counsel on multiple IPOs, including those of Team Health, Chart Industries, Dresser Rand, Warner Music, Alpha Natural Resources, Celanese, Foundation Coal, Nalco, Premcor and Willis Group. Underwriter-side work has included the IPOs of Kraft Foods, Globalstar, ITXC, Friendly Ice Cream Corporation and Penske Motorsports. He is also designated underwriters’ counsel for Altria Group, Philip Morris International and Kosmos Energy. Ed has been ranked among the leading capital market lawyers in the United States by Chambers for 14 consecutive years.
Read Full Biography...
- 2013: $1.5 billion of high yield notes for Hilton Worldwide
- 2013: High yield deals for Crestwood Midstream L.P., TPC Group and Summit Materials
- 2013: $11.5 billion of investment-grade notes in six transactions for Altria and Philip Morris International
- 2013: Sponsor equity exits from Team Health Holdings
University of Virginia School of Law, 1990 J.D.
Dartmouth College, 1984 B.A.
magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
Ed Tolley is Of Counsel at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP. He has represented several leading financial sponsors and their portfolio companies in connection with high yield financings, including bridge and other acquisition financings. He has also advised the Firm’s issuer and underwriter clients in connection with IPOs and other registered offerings of equity securities.
Ed’s experience has included the representation of:
- Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. in connection with $2.25 billion of bridge loan financing for its acquisition of Samson Resources, followed by $2.25 billion of high yield bond financing
- KKR, TPG and GS PIA in connection with $11.25 billion of bridge and bond financings for their purchase of TXU
- Texas Pacific Group in connection with high yield debt financing for its purchase of American Tire
- The Blackstone Group in connection with the bridge/bond financings for its purchase of Summit Materials, Apria Healthcare, Polymer Group, Performance Foods, Catalent Pharma Solutions, Freescale Semiconductor, Travelport and Team Health
- KKR in connection with the $5.7 billion bond financing for its purchase of HCA
- KKR, Blackstone, Silver Lake Partners, Bain Capital, Providence Equity Partners, and TPG on the $3 billion bond financing for their purchase of SunGard Data Systems
- First Reserve Corporation in connection with financings in respect of Foundation Coal, Chart Industries, NFR Energy (Sabine Oil & Gas), Crestwood Midstream Partners, Midstates Petroleum and TPC Group Inc.
- KKR and Silver Lake Partners in connection with the $1 billion bond financing for their purchase of the semiconductor business of Agilent
- Thomas H. Lee Partners, Bain Capital, Providence Equity, and Edgar Bronfman, Jr. in connection with bridge and bond financing for their $2.6 billion acquisition of Warner Music Group and subsequent offerings for Warner
- Blackstone in connection with bridge and bond financings for its $3.1 billion acquisition of Celanese
- Blackstone and Apollo Management in connection with the $1.6 billion of high yield financing for their acquisition of Nalco Company
- Thomas H. Lee Partners, Bain Capital, and Blackstone in connection with a $500 million bridge financing and a $1 billion high yield debt offering for Houghton Mifflin Company
- KKR and its portfolio companies, including bridge financings for KKR’s acquisition of Wincor-Nixdorf, Willis Group, and certain businesses of Laporte plc, as well as high yield debt offerings for Rockwood and Willis Group
- Blackstone and its portfolio companies, including high yield debt offerings for American Axle Manufacturing, Inc., Centennial Communications Corp., Graham Packaging Company, The Premcor Refining Group and Port Arthur Coker Company
- Issuer’s counsel for Chart Industries, Team Health, Dresser-Rand, Warner Music, Alpha Natural Resources, Celanese, Foundation Coal, Nalco, Premcor Inc. and Willis Group in connection with their IPOs
- Underwriters’ counsel for Credit Suisse First Boston and Salomon Smith Barney in connection with the $8.6 billion IPO of Kraft Foods Inc.
- Underwriters’ counsel in connection with IPOs for Globalstar, ITXC Corp., Friendly Ice Cream Corporation, Penske Motorsports and Ladish Company
Ed has been ranked among the leading capital market lawyers in the United States and the world by publications such as Chambers USA, Chambers Global, Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Capital Markets Lawyers, The Legal 500, and The Best Lawyers in America.
Ed joined Simpson Thacher in 1990 and became a Partner in January 1999. He received his B.A. from Dartmouth College, magna cum laude, in 1984, Phi Beta Kappa and his J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1990.