Named in multiple years as one of ALM's Women Leaders in Tech Law for her M&A experience representing clients in the tech and biotech industries, Kirsten has been in the forefront of many game-changing deals in Silicon Valley—ranging from representing Yahoo! in its $1.1 billion acquisition of Tumblr to Google in its $1.65 billion acquisition of YouTube. As a founding member of the Palo Alto office, Kirsten relocated from the New York office almost 20 years ago and has worked with corporate and private equity clients on transactions in a range of industries, including technology, biotech, pharmaceutical, healthcare, renewable energy, finance, consumer products, media, real estate, aerospace and light industrial.
Read Full Biography...
- Yahoo! in its $1.1 billion acquisition of Tumblr
- Facet Biotech in its defense against Biogen Idec’s unsolicited tender offer and sale to Abbott Laboratories
- Elevation Partners in its investments in Palm, Forbes Media and MarketShare and in the sale of Palm to Hewlett-Packard Company
- Google in its $1.65 billion acquisition of YouTube
2013, 2015 Women Leaders in Tech Law, The Recorder
Harvard Law School, 1991 J.D.
Yale University, 1988 B.A.
- California Bar Association, Member
- New York Bar Association, Member
New York 1992
A founding member of our Palo Alto office, Kirsten Jensen has specialized in mergers and acquisitions over her 25+ years of practice. Named one of the Women Leaders in Tech Law by The Recorder in multiple years for her extensive experience representing clients in the tech and biotech industries, Kirsten has also been recognized by The Legal 500 United States for her M&A work.
Kirsten regularly advises her corporate and private equity clients on public and private M&A, joint ventures, minority investments, corporate defense and general corporate matters. She enjoys using her knowledge and experience to provide practical advice and develop solutions to help her clients achieve their business goals. Kirsten works with clients in a broad range of industries in addition to tech and biotech, including pharmaceutical, healthcare, renewable energy, finance, consumer products, media, real estate, aerospace and light industrial.
Kirsten received her B.A. from Yale in 1988 and her J.D. from Harvard in 1991.
Some of Kirsten’s corporate representations include:
- Yahoo!, in its acquisition of Tumblr
- Facet Biotech, in its successful defense against Biogen Idec’s hostile tender offer and in its subsequent sale to Abbott Laboratories
- Google, in its purchase of YouTube
- Agilent Technologies, in the sale of its semiconductor products group to Silver Lake and KKR
- CB Richard Ellis, in its acquisition of Trammell Crow Company
- VERITAS Software, in its merger with Symantec
- Intellisync, in its sale to Nokia
- Applera Corporation, in the sale of its analytical instruments business and the purchase of Axys Pharmaceutical by Applera’s Celera Genomics Group
Some examples of Kirsten’s work with private equity firms are:
- Elevation, in its investments in MarketShare, Forbes Media and Palm and in the sale of Palm to Hewlett-Packard Company
- Riverwood, in its investment in Lighting Science Group Corporation
- Health Evolution Partners, in its investment in CenseoHealth and in various transactions involving its other portfolio companies including Optimal IMX, Halcyon Health and Freedom Innovations
- Hellman & Friedman, in its acquisition of Goodman Global, and Hellman & Friedman and Texas Pacific Group, in their purchase of Intergraph Corporation
- Memec Group, a portfolio company of Permira Advisers, in its sale to Avnet
- Jazz Pharmaceuticals, a portfolio company of KKR, in its acquisition of Orphan Medical
- Silver Lake and Texas Pacific Group, in their sale of Crystal Decisions to Business Objects
- Paine & Partners, in its acquisition of Icicle Seafoods
Her joint venture experience includes:
- McKesson Corporation, it its generic pharmaceutical sourcing alliance with Wal-Mart Stores
- Embraer, in its joint venture with Zodiac Aerospace
- CB Richard Ellis, in its acquisition and joint venture Clarion Real Estate Securities
- Clorox, in its joint venture with Procter & Gamble
- Accenture, in its joint venture with Microsoft
- NBC, in its joint venture with Dow Jones and its joint venture with CNET
Kirsten authored the chapter on “Due Diligence in M&A and Securities Offerings” in the PLI publication Advising High-Technology Companies.