Peter C. Herrick, formerly Senior Trial Counsel at the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), is Counsel in Simpson Thacher’s Litigation Department. His practice focuses on antitrust and competition, including antitrust litigation, government investigations, and counseling on competition issues. During his time at the FTC, Peter oversaw high-stakes investigations and litigations of proposed mergers in a wide range of industries.
Read Full Biography...
- FTC’s second chair in its 18-day trial and victory in FTC et al. v. St. Luke’s Health System, Inc. et al., the first litigated challenge to a hospital system’s acquisition of a physician group
- Key member of FTC trial teams in FTC v. Phoebe Putney Health System and FTC v. OSF Health System
- Lead FTC role in investigating mergers and acquisitions and developing cases for litigation, including Visant Corp./American Achievement Corp., Geisinger Health System/Community Medical Center, Community Health System, Inc./Moses Taylor Health Care System, and Grifols, S.A./Talecris Biotherapeutics Holdings Corp.
- Second chair on behalf of US Foods in 8-day preliminary injunction hearing against the FTC concerning its proposed $8.2 billion merger with Sysco Corp.
- Office Depot in FTC review and litigated challenge to its proposed $6.3 billion merger with Staples, Inc.
- JBS USA in DOJ review and clearance of its $1.45 billion acquisition of Cargill’s U.S.-based pork business
- Silicon Precision Industries Co., Ltd. in FTC review and clearance of its proposed joint share exchange with Advanced Semiconductor Engineering, Inc.
- Hamburg Südamerikanische Dampfschifffahrts-Gesellschaft KG (HSDG) in DOJ review and clearance of its $4 billion acquisition by Maersk Line A/S
Rutgers School of Law, 2004 J.D.
Order of the Coif
Rutgers Graduate School of Education, 1996 M.Ed.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, 1992 B.A.
- Justice Barry T. Albin, Supreme Court of New Jersey (2004)
New York 2005
District of Columbia 2015
United States District & Bankruptcy Courts for the District of Columbia 2016
Peter C. Herrick is Counsel in Simpson Thacher’s Litigation Department and resident in the Washington, D.C. office. His practice focuses on antitrust and competition, including antitrust litigation, government merger and conduct investigations, and counseling on competition issues.
Peter joined the Firm from the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), where he was Senior Trial Counsel in the Bureau of Competition. During his time at the FTC, Peter oversaw significant merger investigations and litigations in a range of industries. As Senior Trial Counsel and a lead staff attorney in the Mergers IV Division, Peter played lead roles in numerous antitrust investigations and FTC challenges to mergers involving hospitals, physician groups, consumer goods, and blood-plasma product manufacturers, among others.
Peter has a depth of antitrust litigation and government investigation experience. While at the FTC, he acted as second chair in the FTC’s 18-day trial and victory in FTC et al. v. St. Luke’s Health System, Inc. et al. and as a key trial team member in the FTC’s successful merger challenges in FTC v. Phoebe Putney Health System and FTC v. OSF Health System. Peter was also the lead staff attorney on FTC merger investigations, including a blood plasma products merger between Grifols, S.A. and Talecris Biotherapeutics Holdings Corp.
Prior to joining the FTC, Peter was Counsel at O’Melveny & Myers LLP.
Peter received his J.D., with honors, from Rutgers University School of Law, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif and an Articles Editor for the Rutgers Law Review. He received his M.Ed. from Rutgers Graduate School of Education and his B.A. from Rutgers College. Following law school, he completed a clerkship with Justice Barry T. Albin, Supreme Court of New Jersey. He is admitted to practice in New York, the District of Columbia, and the United States District & Bankruptcy Courts for the District of Columbia.