Simpson Thacher is quite simply the world’s leading legal advisor in the private equity sector. Since the earliest days of private equity, clients have sought our advice on fund formation, minority investments, mergers and acquisitions, financing solutions and exit transactions. Significantly, we have represented the private equity sponsor in the five largest leveraged acquisitions ever completed.
Our scale and depth give us insight into the needs of every participant in private equity transactions: private equity sponsors, senior bank lenders, subordinated and bridge lenders, management and financial investors and underwriters. We have partnered with our clients as trailblazers in developing various acquisition and financing techniques in the private equity field, and we continue to be the firm of choice for many of the world’s largest and most sophisticated private equity firms.
Practice of the Year
A Private Equity Practice Group of the Year, Law360 2011–2016
As buyout techniques have expanded geographically, we have increasingly been called on by clients in Europe, Asia, Canada, Australia and Latin America, in addition to our broad client base of U.S. private equity firms. We now provide formation and transactional services to our global clients through virtually every one of our eleven offices.
Some of our more prominent recent private equity transactions have included our representation of:
- Dell and Silver Lake Partners’ $67 billion (announced value) acquisition of EMC Corporation
- Silver Lake Partners’ $24 billion acquisition of Dell
- BC Partners-led consortium’s $8.7 billion acquisition of PetSmart
- Consortium-owned Big Heart Pet Brands’ (formerly known as Del Monte) $5.8 billion sale to Smucker
- Blackstone’s $5.4 billion acquisition of Gates Corporation
- KKR and Affinity Equity Partners’ $5.8 billion sale of Oriental Brewery to Anheuser-Busch InBev
- Hellman & Friedman’s $4.4 billion acquisition of Hub International Limited
- Focus Media’s $3.7 billion going private transaction
- First Reserve’s $1.7 billion investment in American Energy—Utica, LLC
- Carlyle’s acquisition of TCW Group
“One of the finest private equity firms in the world, working for some of the finest private equity houses in the world.”
#1 in Global Private Equity Announced Deals for eight of the past 10 years, including 2016 (Bloomberg)
Band 1 ranking in Private Equity, 2009–2017 (Chambers Global)