Makiko Harunari is the Head of Asia Banking & Credit, practicing as a Registered Foreign Lawyer in the Firm’s Hong Kong office. With a decade of prior experience in the Firm’s New York office, Makiko focuses on complex cross-border financing transactions throughout the Asia-Pacific region. Her practice includes a broad mix of acquisition finance, real estate finance, back-leverage transactions and other innovative products. Makiko is proud to have been selected as a member of the 2017 Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Fellows and previously served as the Chair of the Leadership Council for Year Up New York, a non-profit organization offering job training for young adults in the United States.
Read Full Biography...
- KKR in multiple financings, including its approximately ¥257.1 billion (approximately $2.3 billion) planned tender offer of Hitachi Kokusai Electric, its ¥498.3 billion (approximately $4.5 billion) acquisition of Calsonic Kansei, and Panasonic Healthcare’s €1.02 billion (approximately ¥138 billion) carve-out acquisition of Bayer AG’s Diabetes Care business division
- China Logistics Properties Holdings Co. in its HK$3,366 million (approximately US$434.3 million) IPO and Rule 144A/Regulation S offering
- Blackstone in multiple financings in Asia, including the financing for its acquisition of Valad Property Group in Australia
- Blackstone in its acquisition of Tradesmen International
- JPMorgan and other investment banks in multiple financings and refinancings for corporate borrowers and financial sponsors
- ARAMARK Corporation in connection with its $4.7 billion credit agreement refinancing
Georgetown University Law Center, 2007 J.D.
Yale University, 2001 B.A.
- CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) Charterholder
Makiko Harunari is the Head of Asia Banking & Credit currently practicing as a Registered Foreign Lawyer in the Firm’s Hong Kong office. Makiko regularly represents financial sponsors, corporate borrowers and financial institutions in complex cross-border financing transactions throughout the Asia Pacific region, including acquisition finance, real estate finance, back-leverage transactions, fund finance, project finance and other innovative products. Makiko has represented institutional clients such as KKR, Blackstone and JPMorgan. She was previously based in the Firm’s New York office and has long been involved in growing the Firm’s Banking & Credit practice in Asia.
Makiko received her B.A. from Yale University in 2001 and her J.D., cum laude, from Georgetown University School of Law in 2007. Originally from Japan, Makiko grew up in Europe and was educated in the United States. Makiko is fluent in Japanese and admitted to practice in New York. She was selected as a member of the 2017 Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Fellows and previously served as the Chair of the Leadership Council for Year Up New York, a non-profit organization offering job training for young adults in the United States.