As regulations proliferate and scrutiny grows, the need for effective and proactive corporate governance has never been more essential. Simpson Thacher regularly advises companies (both public and private), private equity firms, nonprofits, directors, boards and senior management on every aspect of corporate governance, from their day-to-day questions to their most sensitive and consequential corporate governance matters.
From questions about fiduciary duties and securities laws to guidance on specific transactional opportunities and challenges, our practice leverages the strength of the Firm in whole, bringing together lawyers across practice groups—including corporate, litigation, executive compensation and tax—to counsel clients. This is an interdisciplinary and holistic approach that sets Simpson Thacher apart.
Our breadth of experience extends to:
- Advising companies on every aspect of securities laws compliance and stock exchange listing requirements
- Managing crisis situations of all kinds, from shareholder activist campaigns and proxy battles to personnel issues and claims of D&O liability
- Advising boards and management on succession issues
- Conducting internal investigations for companies, boards and audit committees
- Responding to informal and formal SEC inquiries
- Establishing and modifying governance protocol to comply with evolving requirements, stay abreast of best practices and protect long-term shareholder value