Over the course of many years, the Firm has advised national and local governments, sovereign wealth funds and other sovereign entities. We counsel them on sensitive litigation and arbitration matters, and we represent governments and state-owned corporations in important securities offerings, refinancings and M&A transactions. We also advise clients doing business with SWFs and sovereign entities.
Peru, Korea and the Dominican Republic—all parties to deals on which we have advised
Our engagements have included:
- The Republic of Peru in its sovereign bonds reopenings
- Aluminum Corporation of China (Chinalco) in its $14 billion acquisition of a minority stake in Rio Tinto, the largest foreign investment by a Chinese entity
- The U.S. Department of Treasury in the structuring and implementation of TARP
- Temasek in a going-private transaction involving AsiaInfo-Linkage Inc.
- KfW, the development bank owned by Germany, in 18 debt offerings valued at approximately $59 billion during 2013
- Initial purchasers in a $1 billion sovereign debt offering for the Dominican Republic
- Underwriters in a $1 billion sovereign debt offering for the Republic of Korea
- The Government of the Dominican Republic in investment treaty and related ICC commercial arbitrations
- Agua y Saneamientos Argentinos S.A. in contract and tort litigation in New York Federal Court