Counsel in Simpson Thacher’s New York office, Gena Hatcher is a member of the Firm’s Personal Planning Practice. Gena advises ultra-high net worth individuals and families regarding the preservation, transfer and management of wealth and personal and charitable legacies. Her clients include founders and CEOs of Fortune 500 companies, billionaire private equity principals, multigenerational real estate families, and legendary fashion designers. Her practice includes crafting bespoke estate planning structures involving private equity and hedge fund interests and publicly traded stock of corporate insiders, including navigating cross-disciplinary securities law and investor relations issues, trust and estate administration for iconic American and New York families, and addressing the complexities of administering charitable trusts and private foundations. A former member of the New York City Bar Association’s Committee on Estate & Gift Taxation, Gena has also presented at the New York City Bar Association on the basics of will drafting, and was honored by Legal Services NYC in 2014 for her pro bono efforts at the Firm.
Read Full Biography...
- Restructure family ownership and control of Fortune 500 company.
- Advise legendary fashion designer and style icon with respect to her archives and artistic legacy.
- Structure public company CEO’s transfer of stock worth a half a billion dollars to family trusts.
- Counsel CEO of family real estate company owning and managing over $7 billion in real estate assets in connection with a billion-dollar settlement involving family trusts.
New York University School of Law, 2003 J.D.
NYU Annual Survey of American Law Senior Articles Editor (2002-2003), Editor (2001-2002)
Amherst College, 2000 B.A.
cum laude, With Distinction
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- New York State Bar Association, Trusts and Estates Law Section
- The Hon. Janet Bond Arterton, US District Judge, District of Connecticut (2005-2007)