Maripat Alpuche is Of Counsel at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP. Maripat’s practice focused on mergers and acquisitions and capital markets transactions involving financial institutions. She has worked on many of the largest mergers in the financial institutions industry. Maripat has also worked on a wide variety of M&A transactions for private equity clients, including Blackstone, Corsair Capital and J.C. Flowers & Co., their portfolio companies and other specialty finance and financially focused firms. Maripat has also represented numerous retail clients, including Macy’s, Best Buy, Saks and Neiman Marcus, and financial institution clients, including TD Bank and Chase Bank USA, in connection with credit card business sale and program transactions.
Read Full Biography...
- Blackstone Strategic Capital Holdings in its strategic minority investments in a variety of asset management firms, including Francisco Partners, GI Holdings, Leonard Green and Kohlberg & Co.
- Repay Corporation and Corsair Capital in the disposition of Repay Corporation to special purpose acquisition vehicle ("SPAC") Thunder Bridge Acquisition Ltd.
- TD Bank in its long-term credit card program agreement with Air Canada, as well as in its acquisition of Target’s $5.9 billion U.S. credit card portfolio and its acquisition of CIBC’s $3 billion Aeroplan-branded credit card portfolio, and the long-term program agreements relating to those transactions
- Corsair Capital in its acquisition of Jackson Hewitt Tax Advisors and its investment in CamberView Partners
- JPMorgan in its $58 billion merger with Bank One Corporation and in multiple equity and debt offerings, including its $5 billion common stock offering to repay TARP
- Mellon Financial Corporation in its $16.8 billion merger with The Bank of New York Company
Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
Columbia Law School, 1990 J.D.
Stone Scholar; Columbia Law Review, 1989–1990, Articles Editor 1990
Franklin & Marshall College, 1987 B.A.
magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
Maripat Alpuche is Of Counsel at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP. Maripat’s practice focused on mergers and acquisitions and capital markets transactions involving financial institutions. Maripat has worked on many of the largest mergers in the financial institutions industry, including:
- Mellon Financial Corporation’s merger with The Bank of New York Company, Inc. ($16.8 billion)
- JPMorgan Chase & Co.’s merger with Bank One Corporation ($58 billion)
- Manulife Financial Corporation’s acquisition of John Hancock Financial Services ($11 billion)
- Wachovia Corporation’s merger with First Union Corporation ($13.14 billion) and its successful hostile takeover defense against SunTrust Banks ($13.7 billion)
- Chase Manhattan Corporation’s acquisition of J.P. Morgan & Co. ($34 billion)
Maripat also represented our private equity clients and their financially focused portfolio companies in a wide variety of M&A, investment and other transactions, including:
- Blackstone Strategic Capital in its investments in Marlin Equity Partners, GI Partners, Francisco Partners, PAG, Kohlberg & Co., and Leonard Green & Partners
- Corsair Capital in its acquisitions of Jackson Hewitt and Repay Corporation and in its strategic investment in Camberview Partners
- Repay Corporation and Corsair in the disposition of Repay to Thunder Bridge Acquisition Ltd.
- CamberView Partners and Corsair in the disposition of CamberView to PJT Partners
Maripat has also represented a variety of clients in connection with a number of major credit card portfolio transactions, including:
- TD Bank in acquisition of Target portfolio ($5.9 billion)
- TD Bank in its program agreement with Air Canada relating to the Aeroplan portfolio previously acquisition by TD ($3 billion)
- Macy’s Inc. ($7.4 billion)
- Best Buy Co. Inc. ($7 billion)
- Various luxury retailers, including The Neiman Marcus Group, Inc.; Saks, Inc.; Barneys New York; and Talbots, Inc.
Following the financial crisis, Maripat assisted financial institutions, underwriters and investors in connection with numerous public and private capital raising transactions. Representative transactions included:
- Representation of JPMorgan Chase & Co. in various equity and debt offerings, including its $5 billion common stock offering to repay TARP
- Representation of the underwriters in significant public equity offerings, including by Regions Financial Corporation ($900 million), Sovereign Bancorp, Inc. ($1.9 billion), Fulton Financial Corporation ($230 million) and Susquehanna Bancshares ($350 million)
- Representation of The Carlyle Group in connection with its investments in the recapitalizations of FNB United ($310 million), Hampton Roads Bankshares ($255 million), Brand Banking Co. ($200 million) and Boston Private Financial Holdings, Inc. ($170 million)
- Representation of Hamilton State Bancshares in its recapitalization ($231 million)
- Representation of several investors in connection with the acquisition of assets and liabilities of IndyMac Federal Bank, FSB ($13.9 billion) and BankUnited ($900 million) from the FDIC; and representation of investors in the subsequent initial public offering of BankUnited
Other M&A representations in the financial services area included the representation of Wells Fargo & Company in its divestiture of HDVest, Inc. and its acquisition of Prudential Financial Inc.’s stake in its retail brokerage joint venture; and Wachovia Corporation in its acquisition of A.G. Edwards, Inc. ($6.8 billion) and its retail brokerage venture with Prudential Financial Inc. ($1 billion).