James Cross is a leading practitioner in banking and credit, concentrating on borrower and sponsor representations across a broad spectrum of industries and products, including corporate financings and leveraged acquisitions for private equity firms and involving high-grade, senior secured, bond bridge, mezzanine, asset based and other types of facilities.
Read Full Biography...
- Kohlberg Kravis Roberts and other private equity sponsors in financing their acquisitions, including PetVet, USI Insurance Services, Air Medical, Borden, Go Daddy, Academy Sports, Capsugel, Del Monte Foods, Dollar General, First Data, HCA, SunGard Data Systems, Texas Genco, TXU, Willis and many others
- New Mountain Capital in its acquisition of One Digital Health and Benefits
- HCA Inc. in refinancing its credit facilities
- Avantor in its merger with VWR
- RegionalCare in its merger with Capella Healthcare
- Lightyear in its acquisition of AIG’s Advisor Group
- Dollar General in its unsolicited tender offer for Family Dollar
- Las Vegas Sands in the refinancing of its corporate and Macau credit facilities
- PPL Corporation in financing its acquisitions and its creation of Talen Energy
Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business as a leading lawyer in Private Equity: Buyouts and Banking & Finance, with a U.S. “Band 1” ranking in the latter
University of Virginia School of Law, 1990 J.D.
Princeton University, 1986 B.A.
New York 1991
James Cross is a Partner at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP, where he is a member of the Firm’s Corporate Department. James concentrates on borrower and sponsor representations across a broad spectrum of industries and products, including corporate financings and leveraged acquisitions for private equity firms and involving high-grade, senior secured, bond bridge, mezzanine, asset based and other types of facilities.
He has extensive experience representing private equity sponsors in many significant acquisition financings, including SunGard, HCA, TXU, Del Monte, Academy Sports, Go Daddy and Capsugel. Recent leveraged acquisitions have included representation of KKR in its acquisitions of USI Insurance Services and Covenant Surgical Partners. Clients include a range of private equity firms, such as KKR, New Mountain, Sterling, Palladium and Lightyear.
James represents corporate clients in both strategic transactions, such as Avantor’s recent merger with VWR, PPL’s creation of Talen Energy and Dollar General’s hostile tender offer for Family Dollar, and in other debt financing activities, such as by Las Vegas Sands, Aricent, HCA, First Data and Toys “R” Us.
James has been recognized by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business as a leading lawyer in Private Equity: Buyouts and Banking & Finance, which describes him as “a renowned figure within the leveraged finance market”, with a U.S. “Band 1” ranking.
James became a Partner at Simpson Thacher in 1999. He received his B.A. from Princeton University in 1986 and his J.D. from the University of Virginia in 1990. He is admitted to practice in New York and Connecticut.