Jonathan Goldstein advises clients on the tax aspects of private investment fund formation, financing transactions, corporate restructurings and bankruptcies, cross-border matters, partnerships and other joint ventures and mergers and acquisitions (including tax-free spin-offs). He also regularly counsels a diverse group of clients on the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act. At the NYU School of Law, where he earned his LL.M. in taxation, Jonathan won the Harry J. Rudick Memorial Award for “demonstrated excellence in taxation throughout” the program. Jonathan was recently profiled by Law360 as a “Rising Star” in tax and recognized in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business.
Read Full Biography...
- EQT and Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in their announced $2.7 billion acquisition of a majority equity stake in Waystar
- Mars, Incorporated in its investment in and strategic partnership with KIND
- Microsoft in multiple transactions, including its $28.2 billion acquisition of LinkedIn and its $7.5 billion acquisition of GitHub
- Blackstone Group in multiple fundraisings, including Blackstone Capital Partners VIII, Blackstone Infrastructure Partner, the Blackstone Tactical Opportunities Program and Blackstone Real Estate Debt Strategies
- Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company in the sale of OppenheimerFunds, Inc., to Invesco Ltd.
- Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners on the establishment of its $7.2 billion third flagship fund
- Fifth Third Bancorp in its $4.7 billion merger with MB Financial
- TCF Financial in its $3.5 billion merger with Chemical Financial Corporation
- People’s United Financial, Inc. in multiple transactions, including its $759 million acquisition of United Financial Bancorp, Inc., its $544 million acquisition of First Connecticut Bancorp, its $327 million acquisition of BSB Bancorp, Inc., its acquisition of Vend Lease Company and its sale of eight of its branches to Bar Harbor Bank & Trust
New York University School of Law, 2005 LL.M. Taxation
Harry J. Rudick Memorial Award for distinction in the LLM Taxation Program
George Washington University Law School, 2003 J.D.
High Honors, Order of the Coif
University of Rochester, 2000 B.A.
Jonathan Goldstein is a Partner in the Firm’s Tax Department. Jonathan advises clients on private investment fund formation, the tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions (including tax-free spin-offs), tax matters regarding financial institutions, financing transactions, corporate restructurings and bankruptcies, cross-border tax matters and partnerships and other joint ventures. Jonathan also regularly provides advice with respect to the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) to a diverse group of clients.
Jonathan was recently profiled by Law360 as a “Rising Star” in tax and recognized in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business.
Jonathan received his B.A., with distinction, from the University of Rochester in 2000 and his J.D., with high honors, from George Washington University in 2003, where he was elected Order of the Coif. Jonathan earned an LL.M. in Taxation in 2005 from New York University School of Law, where he was awarded the Harry J. Rudick Memorial Award for distinction in the LL.M. Taxation Program. Jonathan is admitted to practice in New York.