Co-Head of the Firm’s Latin America Practice, Todd Crider advises clients in international corporate finance transactions, mergers and acquisitions and project finance. He divides his time between New York and São Paulo, Brazil, where he is Co-Head of our office. In corporate finance, Todd has led transactions in Latin America and Europe, including advising on equity and debt offerings by issuers from Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Mexico and Colombia, as well as Spain and Portugal. He has handled matters for clients including BAML, BTG Pactual, Citigroup, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan and Morgan Stanley. In M&A, Todd has represented KKR, Apax, Patria and Silver Lake Partners in private equity matters, as well as the principals in strategic transactions. In project finance, he has represented sponsors and lenders in hydroelectric projects, airport expansions, toll-road projects and gas-fired generation facilities. A frequent speaker on capital markets, private equity and emerging markets, Todd is also a leader in pro bono activities. He is a member of governing body and executive committee of the Cyrus R. Vance Center of International Justice (where he was founding chair). He also serves as the Vance Center representative to the boards of the Pro Bono Network of the Americas (Red Pro Bono de las Americas) and the Lawyers Council for Civil and Economic Rights of the Americas. Todd is also the Vice-Chair and a member of the Executive Committee of the Rainforest Foundation US and a member of Advisory Board of Howard College of Arts & Sciences of Samford University.
Read Full Biography...
- IPOs including for AESA, Biosev S.A., BM&F (subsequently merged with Bovespa), DASA, EcoRodovias, Equatorial Energia and Natura, OHL México, Pinfra, Sonda, Telefónica Móviles
- Public tender offers including representation of Telefónica in multiple tenders in Brazil and of Gas Natural in tender offer for Endesa, defense of Portugal Telecom in tender offer by Sonae and representation of Vivendi in tender offer for GVT
- Private M&A including Owens-Illinois in multiple acquisitions and joint ventures in Latin America
- Controlling shareholders in the sale of largest supermarket company in Chile to Walmart Stores
Columbia Law School, 1991 J.D.
Université de Paris IV Sorbonne, 1988 License d’histoire
Samford University, 1987 B.A.
magna cum laude
New York 1992
Todd Crider is a Partner at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett, where he is a member of the Firm’s Corporate Department and Co-Head of the Latin America Practice. Todd divides his time between the Firm’s New York and São Paulo offices and is Co-Head of the Firm’s São Paulo office. He advises clients in international corporate finance transactions, mergers and acquisitions and project finance. Todd concentrates primarily on transactions in Spain and Latin America and speaks Spanish, Portuguese and French.
Todd’s practice and experience reflects the evolving nature of Practice in Latin America.
- In corporate finance, Todd has led transactions in Latin America and Europe, including advising in debt or equity offerings by issuers from Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Mexico and Colombia, as well as Spain and Portugal. Todd has handled matters for BAML, BTG Pactual, Citigroup, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, Itau, JPMorgan, Morgan Stanley and UBS, among others.
- In M&A, Todd’s experience includes representing KKR, Apax, Patria, Silver Lake and others in private equity matters as well as the principals in strategic transactions such as the controlling shareholders of Distribución y Servicio D&S in the sale of a controlling stake to Walmart, Gas Natural in its tender offer for Endesa, Portugal Telecom in its response to an unsolicited tender offer, Vivo in its exchange offers in Brazil, Telefónica Móviles in its acquisition of Motorola’s mobile telephone companies in Mexico, and Owens-Illinois in acquisitions and joint ventures in Latin America.
- In private equity, Todd regularly represents KKR and Apax in matters in Latin America as well as other international and regional private equity firms.
- In project finance, Todd has represented sponsors and lenders in hydro-electric projects, airport expansions, toll road projects, gas-fired generation facilities and other projects in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Todd has been recognized by Chambers Global and Chambers Latin America as a leading individual in a number of fields, including:
- Capital Markets Latin America-wide (2009–2017)
- Corporate/M&A Latin America-wide (2009–2017)
- Banking & Finance Latin America-wide (2010–2017)
- Corporate/M&A: International: Brazil (2011–2017)
- Capital Markets: International: Brazil (2008–2017)
- Capital Markets: Debt and Equity – Regional Experts United States (2011)
- Corporate & Finance Latin America-wide (2006–2008)
In Chambers Global 2012, he is described as “a deeply admired partner who earns great respect for his expertise,” and in Chambers Latin America as, “outstanding – very knowledgeable and perfectly articulate in English, Spanish and Portuguese.” He has also been recognized by Chambers USA (2007-2010, 2016-2017) as a leading lawyer for Latin American Investment. Todd’s Practice is favorably reviewed by Latin Lawyer 250, which reports “Crider’s reputation throughout the region is stellar.” Todd has also been named by Latin Business Chronicle as one of its Top 50 Legal Stars and by Latinvex to its top 100 (and top 50 international) lawyers in Latin America.
Todd is an active member of the New York City Bar Association, where he was Founding Chair and is currently a member of governing body and executive committee for the Cyrus R. Vance Center of International Justice. He also serves as the Vance Center representative to the boards of the Pro Bono Network of the Americas (Red Pro Bono de las Americas) and the Lawyers Council for Civil and Economic Rights of the Americas. He is Vice-Chair (and past Chair) and a member of the Executive Committee of the of the Board of the Rainforest Foundation US and is also member of Advisory Board of Howard College of Arts & Sciences of Samford University. He has previously served as Co-Chair of the Firm’s Pro Bono Committee and on the board of other legal services organizations in New York.
Originally from the American South, Todd lived in Spain for 10 of his first 20 years. Todd received his B.A., magna cum laude, in 1987 from Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama, where he was student body president, his License d’histoire in 1988 from the Université de Paris-Sorbonne (Paris IV), where he was a Rotary Scholar, and his J.D. in 1991 from Columbia University School of Law, where he was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar.
Todd is admitted to practice law in New York and Connecticut and authorized as a foreign legal consultant by the São Paulo Bar Association (Ordem dos Advogados do Brasil – São Paulo).