Since the 1970s, clients have relied on our advice as a leader in the development of product liability and mass tort law in the United States. We have taken countless product liability and mass tort cases to jury trial in state and federal courts over the years, amassing invaluable courtroom experience. Clients appreciate our willingness to master the complicated technical issues that these cases present—and our proven ability to translate such concepts plainly to juries in an emotionally charged environment.
As these cases have grown in complexity, we often assume the role of national coordinating counsel. In that capacity, we work with our clients to develop overall substantive and procedural tactics, as well as organize defenses in numerous jurisdictions, ensuring a consistent strategic position in all venues. Clients trust us to serve as coordinating and trial counsel in class action and individual litigations arising from use of a variety of consumer products, including alcoholic beverages, computer components, motor vehicles, pharmaceuticals, tobacco and security devices. One of our partners is the author of the two-volume treatise McLaughlin On Class Actions.
Our recent representations include:
- Major worldwide beer company in numerous class actions across the country
- Security company that provided passenger-screening services for two of the airliners on 9/11
- Major spirits company in defeating a lawsuit seeking to hold it liable for alcoholism-related harms
- Producer of high-grade industrial ropes and cables in an action seeking to impose liability for a deep-sea oil-drilling platform collapse
- World-class motorcycle producer in a class action suit claiming fuel tank defects
Multinational companies and parent companies turn to us for strategic advice on issues arising out of their subsidiaries’ potential exposure where we offer product liability and mass tort insight. In the transactional area, we provide assessment and analysis on investments that are being considered where there are product liability risks. In addition, trade associations and other industry organizations regularly seek our product liability advice.